June through August is Santa Fe’s peak season for all the best reasons. The sunkissed blue sky maintains temperatures of the mid-80s with short-lived afternoon showers to freshen the air. The nights are comfortably cool and welcome after a day of enjoying Santa Fe’s outdoor attractions.
The summer months are filled with the largest and most famous world festivals and Santa Fe is adding one more this year, Santa Fe Art Week is July 12-21. The question is not “what is there to do today?” but “how can we find time to get to all the things we want to do?”
Be sure to check out our luxury Santa Fe vacation rental properties to choose elegant, comfortable, spacious, and convenient vacation homes that provide your home away from home, perfect for your exciting visit to this energetic city.
Celebrate the Arts
- Attend the Santa Fe Art Week. Santa Fe is the third largest art market in the United States. The city’s 19th Annual Santa Fe Art Show, July 18th – 21st, presents an amazing array of contemporary and modern art at the Santa Fe Community Convention Center. On display are extraordinary works of art from local, national, and international galleries. Live entertainment, parties, and other exclusive events keep the energy high. The show includes art talks, design talks, and art labs.
- Visit the Traditional Spanish Market. On July 27th and 28th, The Spanish Colonial Arts Society presents its 68th Annual Traditional Spanish Market on the historic Santa Fe Plaza. About 250 Spanish Colonial Artists from Colorado and New Mexico will present their traditional crafts, some dating back 400 years. You will see woodcarving, tinwork, colcha, hide painting, straw appliqué, furniture and furnishings, weaving, jewelry, filigree, pottery and ironwork for sale. These are true and accurate crafts, not items mass produced for the tourist trade. Music and performances will be on the Market stage throughout the weekend, and a food court will offer traditional foods and local favorites.
- Tour the Santa Fe Indian Market. On August 17th and 18th, you can visit the Santa Fe Indian Market, the largest and most prestigious juried Native arts show globally. It draws approximately 120 thousand visitors eager to find the best works created by Native artists. Works are available through live and silent auctions as well as for sale by the artists. Booths of native food will be abundant.
- Be swept up by classical music. Santa Fe Chamber Music Festival is July 14th – August 19th. It has a lineup of concerts and free events that appeal to lovers of classical music. The Santa Fe Opera is renowned globally and opens its summer season on May 29th with The Pearl Fishers and closes August 31st with a Mariachi Extravaganza.
- Feel alive on the hiking trails. Santa Fe is a hiker’s paradise with trails into the wilderness beginning just a few minutes from your vacation home and downtown. Trails range from kid-friendly to the most challenging and all encompass some of Santa Fe’s enchanting wilderness. Hikers are rewarded with shaded forests, fields blooming with wildflowers, silvery mountain streams, and incredible views from mountain summits and ridgetops. Visit Santa Fe’s website to see the variety of mapped trails. Many experienced hikers proceed through the trails themselves and make their own way through the glorious terrain.
- Get a taste of adrenaline with mountain biking. USA Today lists Santa Fe as one of America’s Top Mountain Bike Towns. In the city, biking is safe because of its bike lanes. In the wilderness, you can take an easy, scenic bike ride or challenge yourself on a mountain bike. Golfers are delighted to find eight world-class golf courses within a two-hour drive from the city set in the high desert atmosphere and in the mountain air. To review the top-rated courses visit GolfAdvisor.
- Get up early and go fishing. Fishermen head to Santa Fe National Forest and its 1000 miles of streams and 20 lakes lively with fish. The Forest offers a variety of fishing experiences including both cold and warm water fish. You can head for an established fishing area or set off with your tackle and find your own.
Tickle Your Taste buds
- Savor world-renowned restaurants. Santa Fe cuisine combines Indigenous American, Spanish and Anglo influences from the basics of corn, beans, and squash to chili peppers that explode in your mouth. Make your own meals using fresh, local ingredients from farmers’ markets, or try some of Santa Fe’s most renowned restaurants offering traditional foods. If you want to go where the locals go, try these restaurants that have an authentic vibe and serve the best of the regional cuisine:
La Choza was voted the #1 New Mexican restaurant by readers of the Santa Fe Reporter. The restaurant brings generations of tradition to your table along with award-winning red and green chili.
Tortilla Flats has nationally acclaimed, award-winning dishes such as authentic tacos and enchilada plates
La Casa Sena is everybody’s first “Fix” after arriving in Santa Fe and is located in the oldest house in town and much of the original architecture remains. It features New American West cuisine inspired by New Mexican influences and seasonal ingredients.
Calling all Kids
- Bring the kids to Bandelier National Monument. Bandelier National Monument is one of the favorites. This 33,000-acre park gives an up-close look at the lives of the ancient Pueblo people. Wooden ladders lead to cliff dwellings and cave drawings. The park’s Junior Ranger program provides an age-appropriate adventure that is rewarded with an official Junior Ranger badge.
- Experience the Santa Fe Children’s Museum. The Santa Fe Children’s Museum is packed with engaging, interactive exhibits both inside and out. Families can play together, exploring the arts, sciences, and humanities.
- Burn off some energy at the playground. The Railyard District is lively with stores, shops, arts, and outdoor performances, but the children gravitate to a creative children’s play area.
Santa Fe is a delightful summer vacation destination for couples and singles, families, and multigeneration gatherings. Let us help you find the perfect luxury vacation rental property during your stay in Santa Fe.